OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:35:43 -0400
When I arrived at the park, the first birds I saw were fledgling House
Finches.  These were all over the front of the park as were Chipping
Sparrow fledglings.  Other fledglings seen were Cooper's Hawk, Song
Sparrow, Barn Swallow, House Sparrow, Cedar Waxwing, Tufted Titmice,
Carolina Chickadees, Eastern Phoebes, and American Robins.  The Red-Tailed
Hawk, Carolina Wren, White-Breasted Nuthatch, Gray Catbird, Downy
Woodpecker, and Red-Bellied Woodpecker fledlings made themselves heard but
were nowhere to be seen.
To borrow a pahrase from Charlie Bombaci, "A good nickname for the spot
would be the nursery as there were fledglings everywhere at once."

I found out were the Blue Jays are nesting but I only heard the
nestlings.  I never saw them.  (Can you enter a species into the OBBA II
if you just hear them?)
A male Eastern Bluebird was observed bringing a bill full of good eats
back to his box.  Technically speaking, the Eastern Bluebird nest is on
Park Road Elementary School grounds not although it is right across the
creek from the rec center.  I think that's where the Cedar Waxwings nested
too.
The American Goldfinches are still in the nest near the parking lot off
Lazelle Road but I'll keep an eye on the nest I saw.  I have a feeling
they'll fledge any day now too.

Also Seen:
Killdeer
Turkey Vultures