OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Dave & Lisa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave & Lisa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:51:29 -0400
I flushed an imm. Night Heron this evening/ time was 5:30-6 pm. It was at the Goldie Gunlock Wetland in Chillicothe..this wetland is the old borrow pit area that was used to get WalMart out of the flood plain..

I was checking the area for any Pie-bills that may have stayed to breed? no luck. But in the back of the wetland(S.E. corner) near the Scioto River..I flushed a large bird over my head from a Honey Locust..I watched as it as it circled towards Max and Ermas Rest... I reflushed it again on the way out..must have came back within 100 yrds. of first spot..

I have only seen a few imm. night herons over the yrs.(Lake Erie)..but, I got a fairly good look at the head..looked like yellow on the bill to me( hinting at Black-crowned)..not much else to go on..except a night heron for sure..

As for the Atlas data on this one..this bird was a strong flyer..no doubt he/she could have flown in...or did breed here and is hanging around? So, I'll only make notes for now..safe date end tomorrow for just a sighting like this..and the id is in question as to species anyway..

I'd like to hear what everyone thinks..this is a code 3 bird..
So, e-mail me direct..and not clog the list..thanks.

Dave Hess
SVBNC
Chillicothe