OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:09:59 -0400
I was curious to know if anyone has been down to check on the Black
Rail lately.  Are birds still being heard?  The average peak of
completed clutches for eastern populations is June 20th...according to
the Birds of North America account.  Unfortunately, the data set was
too small to get at geographic variation with egg laying
dates...Incubation takes approximately 20 days.

If, indeed, there is a Black Rail pair nesting successfully at
Charlie's Pond right now, might we see chicks sometime in July?  There
is wide variation in the phenology of their vocalizations but their
calling frequency peaks from May through late-June.  So, if birds are
still present and tending a nest, we may not hear them much anymore if
ever again this season.  Other calls given can be described as the
following..."Highly agitated birds utter 'Growl' vocalization,
described as grr-grr-grr, a repetitive brrrr, or churr-churr-churr"

We would be interested in anyone's observations of the Circleville
Black Rails.  The Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas website now has an
electronic Rare Species Documentation form.  If everyone could fill
out one of these forms detailing your individual Black Rail
observations, we would greatly appreciate it!  The form can be found
at http://www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/rarespecies.php

If anyone is interested in re-visiting the Black Rail site and would
like to do some additional atlasing while in that area, please let me
know and I can direct you to some priority blocks that still need
survey coverage.  Just last week, I was in the area and covered a
priority block that produced 68 species in a single morning.
Highlights were Sedge Wren, Dickcissel, Blue Grosbeak, and Black
Vulture (at a nest).

Good birding everyone!

Aaron

--