OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:41:39 -0400
Yesterday I took advantage of the break in the weather and did a little
birding around Columbus. I stopped at the Kinnear Road and North Star Road
location for the Bell's Vireo around noon. The bird was not singing, but I
walked a little ways up the disc golf course fairway from the bike path and
observed a single Bell's Vireo skulking in and out of the bushes just north
of the disc golf  "hole" (basket? Target? I don't know what it's called).  I
didn't want to disturb the bird since the nest is active so I turned around
after making a positive ID. While I was at the Bell's Vireo location, I also
heard a Hooded Warbler singing from down the trail to the east in the more
wooded section.

 I headed down to Pickerington Ponds next, not a whole lot going on down
there. The water is pretty high in the marshes right now. There's three
Great Blue Herons on nests on the flooded tree line in Wood Duck Marsh right
now, and the Osprey was tending its nest as well. Other birds noted were
Cedar Waxwings, Great Egrets (2), Red-winged Blackbirds, Common
Yellowthroats, Field Sparrows, Northern Flickers, Song Sparrows, American
Kestrel, and Red-tailed Hawks.

On my way back home, I stopped to check out the Yellow-crowned Night Heron
nest spot on Preston Road south of Broad Street in Columbus. As others have
reported, only one nest is active, with two fledglings. The nest over the
road is the empty nest.

Good birding,

Andy Sewell

Columbus, Ohio