OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:21:41 EDT
Today Al Lasala assisted me as we surveyed Dustin Road, the Little Walnut
Creek Corridor, Wiese Road, Hoover Meadows and Oxbow Road at the Hoover Nature
Preserve. The weather was less than delightful, but the birds made the day
well  worth the effort. The best way to sum things up is to describe the day as
"Nursery Day" at the Hoover Nature Preserve. I'll spare having you read a
total  list and restrict my comments to the best of the best.

Prothonotary Warbler - What other species would I start with? We  watched
adults feeding the fledglings. Currently Prothonotary Warblers are  feeding
fledglings all over the preserve. It's like watching a buttered  popcorn machine at
the theater.

Sharp-shinned Hawk - Earlier this spring Linda and I located an active
Sharp-shinned Hawk nest. As the trees filled out the nest site disappeared into
the greenery. Today Al and I were in the immediate area and approached from a
different route and lo and behold, we located the nest which held a fluffy
hatchling that stared back at us.

Green Heron - We located an active nest with three hatchlings. The fuzz
balls were beginning to wander on the branch near the nest.

Wood Duck - We observed several hens with their broods in tow. When mom  says
so they literally run on water.

Other comments- Recently it was reported that the North American Green  Heron
population has decreased substantially over the last several decades. The
numbers at the preserve this year seem almost a direct opposite as there seem to
 be Green Herons in good numbers in most areas of the preserve. I like our
trend  better.

General fledging dates are trending ahead of my historic records by between
one to two weeks. I wonder if others are noticing the same trend in the areas
they monitor/bird?

Species observed by Al and myself today include:
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Turkey Vulture