OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:04:38 EDT
This morning I monitored the Wiese Road and Area M sectors of the
Prothonotary Warbler Nest Box Trail at the Hoover Nature Preserve. If the reader  is
familiar with Wiese Road, it used to be a wonderful area to walk with the
reservoir and Prothonotary Warblers to one side and dense brush used by many
nesters on the other side. The electric company, in the name of maintaining  their
lines, did what can best be described as a “clear cut” all along Wiese  Road.
I had more hair after my first haircut in the army (for those who haven’t
been in the army, the army cuts it  so short you look like a skinned onion  )
than greenery left when they were through.

The water side of the road still has the necessary habitat for Prothonotary
Warblers and I located  7 singing males, 3 females and 3 active nest sites.  I
was also pleasantly surprised to find a pair of Red-headed Woodpeckers. There
 may be 8 or 9 pairs in the preserve which is an encouraging statistic.
Perched  in the tall dead tree as I came into the area were two immature Bald
Eagles.  There were a variety of edge habitat species along the gash left by the
electric  company, but missing were the White-eyed Vireos and similar species
that nested  in the thick brush cover that used to be at Wiese Road. Hopefully
with time this  area will recover back to its former state.

Later I mover over to Area M to locate Prothonotary Warbler nest sites. I
work the back area which is away from the boardwalk. Last week a male
Prothonotary Warbler greeted one of my friends as it landed in front of him on  the
boardwalk rail. The back area is much rugged and not for the faint hearted  or
anyone without boots. I no sooner entered the area when I was greeted by a
Yellow-billed Cuckoo that alit not more than 5 feet in front of me. Before I  left
the area I observed 6 more cuckoos and heard several others. I observed 24
Prothonotary Warblers in this area, locating and recording 11 active nest
sites.

When I was leaving the temptation to see what mobbing crows had corned,  took
me into Area N where I was rewarded with a Great Horned Owl and 3 more
Yellow-billed Cuckoos. The cuckoos have arrived in excellent numbers and seemed  to
be everywhere today.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.