OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Mike Yough <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Yough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:03:32 -0400
Greetings all.

Inspired by previous posts, I headed to Charlie's Pond this morning
and was rewarded for doing so.

I stepped out of the car at 6:08, heard the first rail at 6:09, and
then had an excellent, though brief, view at 6:12. My experience
seemed to mimic Rob Lowry's in many respects in that I saw it at
relatively close range (about 15 ft.). I had a nice profile view for
about 5 seconds--3 of those through binoculars--while the rail stood
virtually motionless before heading deeper into the vegetation. It was
on the south side of the road about 20 feet west of the drain pipe
near the edge of the grass about two feet deep. I was only able to see
it due to a "lane" made by the trampling of vegetation mentioned in
previous reports.

Having said that, I wholeheartedly agree with previous commentators
that this is a bird that is just not going to be seen by pursuit.
Indeed, I can't help but notice that 2 of the 3 visual sightings
reported on this listserve occurred within moments of arrival rather
than after having spent extended periods of time at the site (which I
know many have). I'm not sure about Rob's visit, but I was the only
one there at the time of my sighting. Does this suggest that the
presence of observers is positioning these birds to keep a low
profile? If so, how should we modify our viewing habits?

Regarding the number of rails at this site, Jim McCormick mentioned
hearing a female, and at one point this morning I thought I may have
heard a female as well though I am not at all familiar with its
vocalizations, but simply working from Jim's description (and that it
was something novel to me). So, another question--if there had been
previous reports of hearing two distinct males, does this suggest that
there are 3 (or more) birds at the site? I spent about an hour and a
half there this morning and it seemed that I was hearing calls far
enough apart and close enough in time to suggest more than one male,
but I couldn't be sure since I couldn't rule out a very mobile bird!

Anyway...

The Alder Flycatcher was also very cooperative, and the Dickcissels
and Grasshopper Sparrows were very conspicuous. Also observed: Horn
Lark.

Good birding to all.

Mike Yough
Glen Echo/Columbus

--
"Prosperity knits a man to the world. He feels he is 'finding his
place in it,' while really it is finding its place in him."

-C.S. Lewis (from The Screwtape Letters)