OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 14:33:11 -0700
I ran through some seriously dark t-storms and widespread minor flooding heading up Rte. 7 around noon.  I got to Conneaut harbor about 12:30 PM.  I was hoping for interesting shorebirds;  immediately I found a heron/egret out on a flooded area of the sandspit.  It was obviously not a great blue heron of any age, yet too large for anything else but REDDISH EGRET.  I got to study the bird from as close as ~50 feet as it was just standing around.  I was pretty darn sure of the ID when it DANCED, ran, and eventually caught a small fish.  I didn't have a camera or cell phone, so I booked up to the public library.  All the computers were taken by juv. humans.  Anyways, I went back down to the harbor.  The REDDISH EGRET was still out there, it had moved a little ways and was at the edge of the gull crowd.  Soon 2 young bald eagles came over--they scattered all the gulls and also the egret.  This was about 1:30 PM.  I searched the area for a couple hours but couldn't refind the
 bird.  It may or may not still be around.  I'd bet it's still on L. Erie.  It was a bird in late first-cycle plumage, some areas very worn.  There were some first-summer feathers coming in, it was obviously not a juv-type bird.  I saw it in flight well also, no contrasting dark primaries for sure.  Later, Craig