OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 22:53:16 -0400
Hi all,

Just a word about rail ruts and what not. I was down at the Black Rail site
Tuesday evening, in and amongst the tornado weather, trying to make
recordings of the rail's vocalizations. While there, I ran into a Pickaway
County deputy sheriff on patrol, and informed him what all the to-do with
optics-bearing people along Radcliff Rd. was about. He thought it all rather
interesting, I guess, but certainly expressed no issues with people
visiting.

Also, unless ownership has changed, all of the land along the north side of
Radcliff is owned by a gentleman who lives in Dublin, and leases out the
farming rights. He and his land manager are aware of Charlie's Pond and the
uniqueness of the area. Don't know who owns the south side, but suspect it
may be the family that lives at the big farm some distance to the south,
with their driveway off River Rd. You can be sure that everyone living off
Radcliff and River roads is well aware of all the visitors.

The mowed rights of way along Radcliff that people are parking on should
actually be county or township property, I'd assume, as most road
rights-of-way are owned by the government. Nonetheless, visitors should make
every effort not to damage the grass, and I found that by parking uphill and
out of the swale, just as Ann Oliver described, it eliminated any problems.

Best of luck to you, and if any of the locals express interest in what the
spectacle is about, be sure and fill them in, show 'em a picture of Black
Rail in your field guide, and even try and get them to hear the rail!

Jim

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio
Like nature? Visit my blog: http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/