OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2008 17:42:40 EDT
This afternoon I monitored the Old Sunbury Road sector of the Prothonotary
Warbler Nest Box Trail. There are 17 singing males along this stretch. Thus far
 I have located the nest site for 9 of the territories. One male seemed more
inquisitive of me than I of him. I managed to take 14 shots of him before the
 Deer Flies began harassing me. This particular nest is in a natural cavity
with  a clean line to the entrance. In all I observed 21 Prothonotary Warblers
this  afternoon. The water level is up considerably which was an inconvenience
as I  had my knee high waders and I could have used my hip boots.

There was a surprising amount of activity for the afternoon. I was in the
area from about 1:30 PM to 4:00 PM, a time period that can be slow. There were
several species with their young close behind or begging including Canada
Geese,  Mallards, Wood Ducks, American Robins, Song Sparrows and Chipping
Sparrows. The  crows did right by me as they harassed a Barred Owl from its perch and
right  past me. The downside was the appearance of the Deer Flies and the
first  mosquitoes, but out came my insect repellent and it was a draw.

Species observed include:
Double-crested Cormorant  (about 75  near Pelican Island)
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Turkey  Vulture
Canada Geese and Young
Wood Ducks and young
Mallard and  young
Blue-winged Teal   (2 laggards?)
Osprey
Cooper’s  Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Spotted Sandpiper
Ring-billed Gull
Barred  Owl
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted  Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern  Flicker
Eastern Wood Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher
Willow  Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern  Kingbird
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American  Crow
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Bank Swallow
Cliff  Swallow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted  Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Blue-gray  Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Gray  Catbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Yellow  Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush  (Nesting  Pair)
Common Yellowthroat
Scarlet Tanager
Eastern Towhee
Chipping  Sparrow
Song Sparrow   (including adult feeding cowbird  fledgling)
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged  Blackbird
Common Grackle