OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:42:22 -0400
Hi Everyone!

June is here!  And as many of you have already started doing, this is
prime time to get out to start tallying species lists for Ohio
Breeding Bird Atlas blocks.  As of June 5th, more than 95% of the
species on the Atlas field checklist will be in safe dates (for a
detailed explanation of safe dates, review the Volunteer Handbook or
visit www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/).  This means that the majority of
simple species checklists from birding forays around the state count
as valuable Atlas data.  Contrary to a popular misconception,
nest-finding IS NOT REQUIRED to participate in this incredibly
exciting project.  If you have questions about submitting observations
to the Atlas, please contact us at [log in to unmask] or by phone at
(614)247-6458.

If anyone is interested in doing complete block surveys, please
consider adopting one of the many priority blocks with little or no
survey effort.  I nice synopsis of priority block survey progress can
be found at http://www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/Priority%20Block%20Map.php
These blocks, especially, need help from every birder in the state!
Please help the Atlas achieve its goal of thoroughly surveying each of
these blocks.

As more and more birders head to the field to document the nesting
birds of Ohio, more and more fascinating discoveries will continue to
be made.  Recent proof is that of a calling Black Rail(s) discovered
by a June Big Day team scouring the state for any and every bird
species.  You never know what you're going to find.  Please consider
signing up to survey a block today or simply turn in whatever bird
records you get during June and July!

As always, we'd be more than happy to send any Atlas materials that
you might need (block maps, field checklists, etc.)

Good birding!

Aaron Boone
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II
614.247.6458