OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:08:12 -0400
I was in Black Rail country this morning for a brief moment and had
the bird calling around 9:00.  Dwight Chasar and Marc Nolls mentioned
that they had a bird calling on the south side of the road while also
hearing another call to the north soon after the other sounded off.
This account and many others are all pointing to at least 2 birds.
Good luck to everyone who tries for these birds over the weekend.  At
least one of the birds has been quite vocal for me when I've been at
the site at different times of day and I've also had a bird calling
from the more upland area farther west from the wettest region.

I would also like to point out that an electronic version of the Rare
Species Documentation Form for OBBA2 can now be accessed on the Atlas
website (http://www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/rarespecies.php).  I would
encourage everyone who has observed two Black Rails, to fill out one
of these forms to help document the occurrence of this fascinating
species.  Also, keep an eye out for other species while birding in
this vicinity (Radcliffe and surrounding areas are in block 68D2SW).
While listening to the rail yesterday afternoon, a pair of Cedar
Waxwings flew in and started peeling off plant fibers from a spot next
to where a rail was calling.  This was a new breeding confirmation for
this block.  Luckily for waxwings, they could probably see the rail!

This block has some other great records so far...Bell's Vireo, Least
Flycatcher, Sedge Wren, Blue Grosbeak, Wilson's Snipe, etc.  No other
rails yet but I just recently heard that other rail species have
nested at the wet slough at the end of Radcliffe Road.  Maybe someone
can turn up a King Rail.  A full atlas species list for this block can
be viewed at...

http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?cmd=viewSpecies&locID=L313626&editionID=ATLAS_OH_2006

And if you get bored of not seeing Black Rails, there are plenty of
Atlas priority blocks in Pickaway and surrounding counties that could
use your help!

Good birding!

Aaron Boone
Columbus, Ohio