OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:00:16 -0400
Yesterday I birded at Highbanks Metro Park for the first time in nearly
two months.
At the wetland blind I observed three species of ducks with ducklings.
They were Mallard, Wood Duck, and Hooded Merganser.  I never knew Hooded
Mergansers bred in Central Ohio.  How exciting it was to see one with
ducklings.  Also at the wetland blind I saw a green heron, which evidently
was the first reported sighting of one in May.  How exciting to see a bird
that is rarely seen in the park.
Along the dripping rock trail north of the main road, I heard a some noise
coming from inside a dead branch.  There was only a smal hole so I deduced
it must be a downy woodpecker hole.  I stood there and watched and before
long a male downy woodpecker carrying food came to the nest.  He stood
outside the cavity and stuck his head in to feed his nestlings.  It was
worth getting caught in the rain to see this.

Al La Sala
Columbus, OH