OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 20:26:02 EDT
On June 4, Tim & I went to Woodbury Wildlife Area in Coshocton County  hoping
to find a Blue Grosbeak there.  We have felt for a couple of years  that they
should be at there as the habitat is so similar to
TriValley.  We first went to what we felt would be the most likely  area &
sure enough, we believe we saw 1.

 This area is on County Road 58, which is east of County Road  17. (DeLorme
60B3SW) There are 2 oil tanks, #5978 & #6060 on the  south side of the road.
Park at the tanks & look to the east.   There are 2 groups of locust trees; the
grosbeak was usually on the left end of  these trees, near the top.  We saw
him come & go from here 3 different  times over a period of about 30 minutes.
We were using a spotting scope at  60 power but it was still a long look & the
bird was usually partly hidden  by vegetation.  Still, we really do think
that it was a grosbeak.  We  both saw a definite rust coloration on the wings & I
am pretty sure I could  see black around the beak, even though I could not
get a good enough look at the  beak itself to get an accurate feel for it's
size.  The 1st look each  of us got was the best; after that it was always behind
a few leaves.

I sure do hope someone else can go there & confirm a Blue  Grosbeak.  I am
sorry this post is a couple of days after the fact; we do  not have internet
access when we are at our cottage.

Laura Dornan
Louisville

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.