OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2008 19:21:11 -0400
Today I made several stops on Hoover and saw many different and intereting
things.  The first stop was Oxbow Recreation Area.  Highlights were
prothonotory warblers, Baltimore orioles, tree swallows, great crested
flycatcher, etc.  Cedar Waxwings were the most numerous bird there.  I
even saw one carrying nesting material.  Two green herons were playing a
game of chase.  As I was leaving I saw some birds chasing a cat across
Oxbow Rd.  They doubled back and sat on the wire along the road.  They
were barn swallows.
Next stop was the boardwalk at Galena.  The first thing I saw was a pair
of Carolina wrens building a nest under the rear bumper of the car I
parked beside.  Both of the osprey parents were at the nest bending
forward every now and then to feed their young.  A common loon set down on
the water near the osprey nest.  The father didn't seem to like this at
all and kept swooping at the loon.  Every time he did, the loon would go
under water.  Other highlights were cliff swallows, barn swallows, a
prothonotory warbler, and an indigo bunting.
Next stop Mudhen Marsh.  Several red-headed woodpeckers made an
appearance.  Cedar waxwings abounded here as well.  A ruby-throated
hummingbird was flitting around the side of the small pond.  Also
seen:indigo bunting, northern flicker, red-bellied woodpecker,red-tailed
hawk, etc.
The last stop of the day and the one with the two most unexpected
sightings was the dam.  From the top of the dam I saw a red-throated loon
and a female common merganser.  The usual Canada geese, mallards, ring-
billed gulls, and cliff swallows were there. Below the dam I counted 8
great blue herons.   Also seen: tree swallows,red-tailed hawk, turkey
vultures at their usual roost, etc.

Al La Sala
Columbus, OH