OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:51:33 -0400
I just wanted to inform everyone that the online data entry database
has surpassed 130,000 individual breeding bird records!!!  The records
are flooding in and as I've been sitting at my computer over the last
couple of hours, I've gotten about 25 email notifications for
rare/unusual nesting species!

Paul Rodewald and I would like to extend our sincere appreciation to
all of you who are out there putting Ohio's nesting birds on the map.
Keep up the great work everyone!

And it's not too late to join in the fun.  Give me a call if you'd
like to learn of the many ways in which you can contribute.

A great way to get a taste of what atlasing is all about would be to
join up with one of the upcoming block survey events.  Janet Duerr and
Steve Schaffer will be holding events a couple more times this summer.
 Details are as follows:

"On June 13-15, we will be based at a farmhouse in Meigs County, SE Ohio
(thanks Allan).   We will begin Friday evening with dinner and some owling,
continue all day Saturday, through Sunday morning. We (Steven and I)  will
supply meals, Allan is letting us stay at his fully furnished farmhouse,
and SE Ohio will supply the birds.

On June 20-22, we will have a similar even based at a farmhouse in Morgan
County (thanks Terry and Jim).  We will supply meals, staying at an
air-conditioned (!) farmhouse, and again SE Ohio will supply the birds."

Contact Janet at (duerr at ohio dot edu) or call (740-593-6179).

And see Terri Martincic's post from today about helping out in her region.

--
Aaron Boone
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II