OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
The Reiners <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Reiners <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:54:22 -0400
Mike Huels of Slate Run Living Historical Farm (part of the Metro Parks of
Columbus and Franklin County) asked me to post his sighting from this
morning of two Sandhill Cranes just south of Slate Run Metro Park.  The
birds were seen in an agricultural field along Ringgold-Northern Road off of
Marcy Road.  My family searched for them this evening but had no luck.

We have recently (for the last 10 days or so) had an unusual Ruby-throated
Hummingbird visiting our feeder near Ashville (also in Pickaway County).
This bird has a broken lower mandible!  It is broken just at its base and
drops down at nearly a right angle to the upper mandible!  We wondered how
the bird would feed, and we've noticed that its tongue has become twisted
over the time we have been watching it.  Apparently its tongue is not strong
enough to hold its shape without the lower mandible to hold it in place!
Now, when it drinks from the feeder, it inserts its upper mandible into the
"flower" and seems to lap the "nectar" off of it - pretty neat to watch.  We
marvel at its continued survival and at the fact that it is the dominant
male at the feeder, chasing others away!  I have good digital pictures for
anyone interested but do not know as of yet how to post them online.  If I
figure it out, I'll do so on the Forum.

Eric Reiner

Ashville, Ohio