OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]

SPECIES IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS ARE REVIEW-LIST SPECIES. Details of
these sightings are desired by The Ohio Bird Records Committee. Careful
observation, not ornithological expertise, is the only qualification
for submitting your data. For details and pointers see:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/records/documentation.php [...]41_4Jul200806:58:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:55:54 -0700
Greetings---A nice mix of migrants at Conneaut harbor this morning.  I was there from 6:00 until 11:00; a nasty bunch of t-storms with ~3 inches of rain in an hour made things interesting both bird-wise and survival-wise.  Highlights were:  wood duck, green-winged teal, semipalmated plover, greater & lesser yellowlegs, 5 sanderlings, semipalmated & least sandpipers, 2 stilt sandpipers, an adult alt. Bonaparte's gull (joining the dozen or so summering immatures), the first juv. herring gull of the year, Caspian tern, Forster's tern, and a few migrant yellow warblers.  Breeding/summering birds present included:  green heron, 3 bald eagles, spotted sandpipers, 2 great black-backed gulls, belted kingfisher, willow flycatchers, purple martins, ~100 bank swallows, and marsh wrens.  On the way home, I spotted a Caspian tern at the Pymatuning causeway; the cliff swallows that nest there were all gone.  Later, Craig