OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
Robert Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:03:54 -0400
I made the drive to Berlin Lake to see if the mudflats are starting to
come in on the southwest side (as per a write up on the Ohio
Ornithological website).   I guess there has been some changes in the
years since that write up.  There are now hardly any public access points
in this part of the lake.  I don't see how you could walk the shoreline
now to bird unless you're willing to walk through various back yards that
border the lake.  I found a fairly good Ohio WMA spot not too far away and
also hit Quail Hollow State Park on the way home.

Lake Park Ohio Wildlife Management Area (Highlights w/ shorebird #'s)
Trail was very overgrown, walked along deep muddy bank by small lake

Red Shouldered Hawk
Solitary Sandpiper (5)
Killdeer (15)
Great Blue Heron (2)
Wood Duck
Eastern Phoebe
Red-eyed Vireo
Cedar Waxwing

Quail Hollow State Park (Peat, Woodland Swamp, Coniferous Trails)
(Highlights)  First visit, highly groomed trails w/ boardwalks in low
spots.

Broad-winged Hawk
Barred Owl (being harassed by many BC Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Downy
W/P in a tall Spruce)
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Hooded Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Eastern Wood PeeWee
Eastern Phoebe
Red-eyed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Many Robins moving through the woods (30+)