OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:35:06 EDT
I have a question regarding 2 Eastern Kingbirds we saw today while doing
some last ditch atlasing for this season.  I hope someone can help me  interpret
this behavior so I can decide how to code these birds.

There was 1 kingbird sitting high in a dead tree, along with some  starlings.
 Another kingbird flew to the 1st one, they both flew into the  air in a
tumbling melee for several seconds.  When they got too close to  the ground, they
would separate briefly, just long enough to gain some altitude  & go at it
again.  This went on for a minute or more.  Once during  this time, they both
perched in the same tree, close together, but then quickly  resumed the
"free-for-all".  Eventually, they both perched once more,  before flying off, somewhat
together but not really.

Were these birds a mated pair, 2 males fighting over territory, or 2
juveniles just going at it?  They didn't really look like juveniles but  probably
hard to tell that.  I would think it is too late in the season for  the other
types of breeding activity.  The Stokes Bird Behavior book  indicates there is no
breeding after the middle of July.  This behavior  also looked like the
behavior described in this same book that often takes place  when a kingbird is
attacking a raptor or some other larger bird but there were  no other birds
involved, unless you count the starlings that were just sitting  there, minding
their own business.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Laura Dornan
Stark  (& sometimes  Coshocton) Counties

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.