OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:12:57 -0700
Hi all,

I hope everyone is keeping busy surveying for the OBBA2. I just thought I’d give a quick summery on some of my highlights so far. Being one of the field technicians, I’ve learned quite a bit on the distribution and abundance of Ohio breeders (i.e. Vesper Sparrows are much more common in northeast Ohio than I thought). To cut to the chase, here are the highlights:

Upland Sandpiper – 7/4/08 (today) 8 birds were present at the Mansfield Municipal Airport (Richland Co.). One appeared to be on a nest.

Clay-colored Sparrow – 7/3/08 (yesterday) a pair was at Charlemont Reservation (Lorain Co.) along Quarry Rd. I was watching the male sing and soon another bird appeared. They stayed together until one disappeared (to a nest?) while the other sat there and kept an eye on me.

Golden-winged Warbler – 6/10/08 a single male was at Cuyahoga Valley National Park (Summit Co.) singing along Oak Hill Rd. just south of Scobie Rd. It was on the east side of the road in a scrubby area that Plateau Trail cuts right through.

Other highlights include Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Least Flycatcher, Red-breasted Nuthatch, multiple Brown Creepers, and lots of Purple Finches and Dark-eyed Juncos.

That’s all for now, get out there and atlas!

Ethan Kistler
Newton Falls, OH