OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2008 23:21:23 -0400
Traditionally I begin seeing southbound orioles and yellow warblers in my
North Perry yard around the Fourth of July or soon after.  They were right
on schedule.  I made a short walk around my yard and in the fields out front
this morning and counted at least 17 orchard orioles, 20 Baltimore orioles
and about 24 yellow warblers.  I only counted what I was positive were
different birds and most of the orioles flushed out of the grass right along
the paths and my driveway.  I think there were many more than what I
counted.  I was curious as to what they were feeding on.  They were in the
deeper grass.  I checked some areas where they flushed, but did not see many
bugs and there was no fruit.  I never could figure it out.  As quick as I
flushed them, they were back in the weeds.  Its hard to believe, but fall
migration is already here with these birds and the shorebirds moving.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081
(440) 259-2751