OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 22:41:19 -0400
Today it was back to work after my 3 day weekend.  After work, I decided
to stop at Griggs Reservoir.
The water is still very high and the water immediately below the dam is
still rushing too fast to harbor any waterfowl.  I did, however, see a
large flock of cedar waxwings flying around over the river about 50 feet
below the dam.  Some Carolina chickadees (fledglings in my best
estimation) were frolicking in the woods behind me.
Above the dam, the shore was being patrolled by an eastern kingbird.  Down
the hill from the watershed management building, a northern flicker was
calling from the top of a tall tree.
A single double crested cormorant was swimming around above the dam.  It
looked a lot like a loon the way it was sitting in the water.  I wonder
how many distant cormorants I've mistaken for loons because they were
beyond the intended range of my binoculars.
Most of the action though was in the area just south of Fishinger Road.  I
could see many swallows soaring around, both tree swallows and barn
swallows.  Looking up the river, I could see even more swallows so I went
up there to investigate.
They were mostly barn swallows but then I saw a cliff swallow.  I walked
under the bridge to find a rock pigeon nest, cliff swallow nests, and barn
swallow nests.
On the way back to my car, I followed an eastern kingbird with my
binoculars to its nest.  Some American goldfinches led me to the tree
where their nest is but not the exact location.
A mallard hen was leading around ducklings as big as herself.  Ditto
Canada geese.  A woman with her three children stood beside a sign that
says "Do not feed the waterfowl" and threw bread to the ducks and geese.
Other species seen were:
Gray Catbird
Turkey Vulture
American Robin
Great Blue Heron
House Sparrow
Mourning Dove
European Starling
Red-Tailed Hawk
Song Sparrow
Red-Bellied Woodpecker

On the way home from Griggs, I stopped at Lazelle Woods.  I stayed there
until after 9:30 hoping to see the owls people keep telling me about but
no luck.  Species I did see there included:
Cooper's Hawk
Eastern Bluebird
Northern Cardinal
and for thise of you who are interested in mammal sightings, several bats
flew out of the woods when it got dark enough.

Al La Sala
Columbus, OH