OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 21:48:24 -0400
       Over the weekend of the Fourth of July, my wife Denise, discovered,and we observed for several days, an adult Black Vulture with 15+ Turkey Vultures at their morning roost area. Later in the morning each day the birds took flight. Good photos of the Black Vulture were taken. The roost area is on the ground in a pasture on private land  1 1/2 miles northeast of Guilford Lake in northern Columbiana County. The only other Columbiana County summer Black Vulture records are from years ago and much to the south along the Ohio River.
       Our initial reason for being here was to visit an old abandoned barn to check on the only known remaining Barn Owl location in the county. A single adult was found. This barn also always has nesting Turkey Vultures. One four +/- week old was found in an old grain bin.
At this same location in April to November, 1997,1998,and 1999 were
two Sandhill Cranes. No young were ever found!
      This location is near the center of Breeding Block 53B5CW; this is
a "Hot Block" for us. We have recorded 112 species here during the present atlas.

                           Bob and Denise Lane