OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 07:30:42 -0700
Greetings---took a long and somewhat winding road in northern Ohio yesterday 8 July.  Started out with a broad-winged hawk in Streetsboro (Portage Co.).  Then to Lorain Harbor; the impoundments area is mostly vegetated and dried up, but there is still some decent shorebird habitat here and on one of the piers in the old "hot waters" area.  Only 16 killdeers were taking advantage of it, though.  A couple of cliff swallows were also seen.  I then headed west on Rte. 2.  At the Huron R. bridge, there were some developing mudflats on the north side (before the t-storms); I didn't go down and scope them due to time constraints.  While in Erie Co. I checked the old Cedar Pt. Chaussee and Medusa Marsh--both had high water.  On to Pickerel Creek WA in Sandusky Co.  There were ~425 shorebirds at the drawndown impoundment:  250+ short-billed dowitchers (all hendersoni), 100 killdeers, 95 lesser yellowlegs, 75 least sandpipers, 10 spotted sandpipers, 2
 stilt sandpipers, Am. avocet, semipalmated sandpiper, and an alt. dunlin.  Also in the vicinity were 5 green-winged teal, 2 bald eagles, Am. kestrel, and 5 Caspian terns.  Then on down to Seneca Co., where I saw one of the adult male black-necked stilts along T80.  Also here were 3 ruddy ducks, 13 great egrets, Am. kestrel, 3 Am. coots, and lesser yellowlegs.  The passing storm front prompted me to make the long drive to Conneaut. I got there in the early evening, and there were less birds around than I'd hoped for.  Of interest were spotted sandpiper, least sandpipers, 18 short-billed dowitchers, 11 Bonaparte's gulls, 2 Forster's terns, and marsh wren.  Later, Craig