OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:58:51 -0400
A quick comment about the recent Black-necked Stilt phenomenon...

So far this year, pairs of Black-necked Stilts have turned up in 3
counties (as far as I can determine from the electronic record).
Marion, Hardin, and Seneca counties have had pairs from late-May until
now.  In mid-May, a stilt showed up in southwestern Lorain County.
From all that I've been able to gather, there may be at least two
pairs of birds that have attempted to or are in the process of nesting
at the Seneca County site.  Might there be other areas in Ohio
harboring this amazing species?

About 2 weeks ago, I was out in Mercer County with John Kuenzli doing
some blockbusting.  Granted, this county is mostly agriculture, but it
is actually an incredible place to be birding during the summer.  We
had a phenomenal morning with great birds such as a pair of Bald
Eagles, dozens of Dickcissel, dozens of Vesper Sparrows (a perfect
opportunity to brush up on this species' amazing vocalizations!), and
a singing subadult male BLUE GROSBEAK of all things.  In addition, we
came across a very interesting looking wet area just south of the
Wabash River on the Ohio side of Indiana State Line Road.

This area didn't look all that different from what exists now up in
Seneca County.  We looked around the area for quite some time and
didn't manage to find anything other than Red-winged Blackbirds but it
was still interesting, nonetheless, to contemplate what shorebird
species might be putting in at the site in late-July.  I encourage
everyone to do some exploration in these under birded parts of the
state.  As it concerns the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II, much of these
areas in western Ohio need some survey coverage.  You just never know
what you're going to find--this should be the official motto of the
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II.

Good birding!

--
Aaron Boone