OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2008 20:21:19 EDT
Today we decided to do something different. Dr. Ransome Williams and I
visited Glacier Ridge Metro Park in Madison County in the morning and stopped at
the Twin Lakes area of the Columbus Recreation and Parks Natural Areas
Preserves. This would be a widely different experience than two days and six  groups
of preschoolers "Creeking" at Highbanks Metro Parks with Naturalists  Kim
Leech. Those two days were priceless in their own way, but today was for us  over
sixty's.

At Glacier Ridge we walked the trails and stopped at the wetland. The
grassland birds were moderately active throughout the morning.
Some species present were:

Great Blue Heron
Mallard hens with their duckings
Killdeer
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Eastern Wood Pewee
Willow Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Red-eyed Vireo
Tree Swallow and fledglings
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Wood Thrush
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
Cedar waxwing
Common Yellowthroat (heard several calling but none seen)
Scarlet Tanager
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Bobolink
Eastern Meadowlark

After lunch we walked the paths at Twin Lakes with the following  present:
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Eastern Wood Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher  (adult feeding young)
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Red-eyed Vireo
Eastern Bluebird