OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:36:21 -0400
I made a sweep down through the Scioto River Valley between Columbus and Circleville, starting at the developing Whittier Park and hitting several points along the river further south before backtracking up Darby creek to Orient.  The river levels were fairly high, so shorebirds and waders were in short supply.  Best among these were a pair of Black-cr. night Herons flying past the Whittier boat launch south to the Greenlawn dam.  No telling if they were local nesters or postbreeding dispersers.  Green Herons were at several places along the Scioto and Darby Creek.

For landbirds, the story was mostly grassland birds, since forest patches are small and scattered in this region.  Vesper Sparrows were the highlight bird, with surprising numbers in many different OBBA blocks this morning.  They seem to start singing again in early-mid July.  I also had Grasshopper Sparrows at several locations.  Dickcissels were almost absent, with only 1 found, in an overgrown field along Youngs Rd, in south Franklin County.  The lack of overgrown fallow fields probably has much to do with this; it seems that the economy of farming these days has pushed farmers to clear and plant all their acreage.