OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
Sheryl Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:02:52 EDT
About 6 PM today, I stopped by the pump house impoundment at Pickerel Creek
hoping to see the avocet again.   I was disappointed to find that  the area
was pumped almost dry (and the pump was still running, trying to get  the last
of it).  The only shorebirds present were 5 Least Sandpipers and  some
Killdeers.  One good thing - large numbers of carp were killed so  maybe that is why
it was drained.  Hopefully, water will be returned soon  to provide shorebird
habitat during migration.

I then put my kayak in Pickerel Creek where it crosses Rt 2 and  paddled to
the bay.  The highlights of the trip were watching a singing  White-eyed Vireo
along the creek and having a pair of very active Belted  Kingfishers at the
mouth of the creek.

About 8:00 PM I went to the Orchid parking lot in search of the Sedge  Wren.
I had heard it earlier this month but tonight I had two great looks  at it
perched in a small bare tree doing its buzzy insect-like call.

My ebird list of birds follows.

Sheryl Young
Sandusky

Location:     Pickerel Creek Wildlife Area
Observation  date:     7/14/08
Notes:     Many species seen  while kayaking Pickerel Creek to the bay.
Sedge Wren perched in a small  bare tree for some great looks!
Number of species:      40

Mallard     X
Hooded Merganser      X
Ruddy Duck     X