OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:30:31 -0700
Shorebird report from the Northwest:

Pickerel - Wish I had seen Sheryl's post sooner...the
majority of shorebirds seen were flyovers, though a
few were grounded, including the 2 Dunlin that have
been reported, clinging to one of the last remaining
puddles.  I walked the dikes regardless - highlights
included 6 Orchard Orioles of varying plumage (4 were
a family group), Bobolinks, & a pair of Ruddy Ducks
with young.  When I first arrived, there were 127
Great Egrets & 61 Great Blues in the main impoundment.

Willow Point - Park at the third pulloff (the one
before the "fish" building) and walk in - this
impoundment has been drawn down.  Birds today included
150 Killdeer, 6 dows, yellowlegs, and peeps.

Pipe Creek - Pipe Creek was awesome today.  Unit B is
completely void of water (similar to the Pickerel
project), but Unit C has some awesome shorebird
habitat along its fringe.  The habitat is not very
extensive, so the birds are condensed and fairly
close.  Highlights today : Snowy Egret (15 - all in
the same puddle), LITTLE BLUE HERON (1), AMERICAN
AVOCET (1), and Stilt Sandpiper (3).  The breakdown of
other shorebirds was - Least (60), Semipalmated (20),
S-B Dow (15), yellowlegs (40), Pectoral (1).

Cedar Point Causeway - No habitat

Lorain Harbor - Nice habitat along the eastern side
especially...moderate numbers of common shorebirds
present and 1 WILLET.

I would suggest hitting Pipe Creek soon before it
dries up completely.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland