OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:26:27 EDT
Today I took Ned Foley and his son Robbie birding at Big Island WA in  Marion
County and Killdeer Plains WA in Wyandot County. The weather was hot  and
hotter and we went through plenty of water to stay hydrated. Fortunately the
birds cooperated enough to make the day worth the effort. We began at Big Island
Wildlife Area where some of the species we located were Bobolink, Eastern
Meadowlark, Pied-billed Grebe, Great Egret, Lesser Yellowlegs, Northern Pintail,
 Hooded Merganser, Willow Flycatcher, Henslow's Sparrow and Dickcissel. We
then  went to Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area and the day got hotter but some good
birds  kept our spirits up. A highlight was a stretch lined with cooperative
Dickcissels. We pulled over to the side of the road, put the windows down and
 gazed up at them one by one as the sang in the sunlight. Other Killdeer
highlights included many Willow Flycatchers, Horned Larks, Yellow Warbler,
Common Yellowthroat, Scarlet Tanager, Orchard Oriole, Pied-billed Grebe,  Trumpeter
Swan, Bald Eagle, Solitary Sandpiper and Yellow-billed Cuckoo.

Our list for the day:
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Great Blue Heron