OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:18:01 -0400
The hayfield along County Road 80 has been cut and so viewing the wetlands
is much better.  However, vegetation on the eastside of the wetlands is
dense and tall.  All 4 adult birds have been together the last 2 days
feeding and calling.  These have been the best views I have had to date.  It
appears that there are no young birds around and if nesting was attempted,
it failed.

Many of the flooded fields are starting to really dry up.  However, those
that have water, are filling up with ducks and shorebirds.  The flooded
field on CR 34 had 4-500 shorebirds yesterday.  Most were Killdeer and
Semipalmated Plover, Least, Semipalmated, Solitary, Stilt, and Pectoral
Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs.  It was similar on Sanduky County
road 292.

Tom Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio