OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:55:45 +0000
Greetings birders -

I do not normally do this, please forgive the off-topic report. I pulled this off of the Genessee (Niagara Region) birding listserve. It is a request by the Canadian Wildlife Service - in particular by Dr. Chip Weseloh, to report color-banded Great Blue Herons, Great Egrets, and Caspian Terns...etc...please read below. Now, these young birds were clearly banded as nestlings in Ontario, HOWEVER, during mid to late summer dispersal, waterbirds will tend to move to distant locales - i.e. New York, PA, perhaps Ohio...

Many of this year's young colonial waterbirds, i.e. Great Blue  Herons,Great Egrets, Caspian Terns and Double-crested Cormorants, have  fledged and are beginning to disperse from their natal colonies.  Researchers have colour-banded nearly 900 individuals of these  species...Birders should keep watch for them and check  forcolour-bands....note the colour of the plastic band and  anynumber-letter combinations. Also, please note eveningroosting areas  of the egrets and Caspian Terns and notify me ...andreport  bands...by email or phone (see  below).Thanks,ChipD.V. Chip Weseloh,  Ph.D.Advisor, Wildlife ToxicologyCanadian Wildlife Service -  OntarioEnvironment Canada4905 Dufferin St.Toronto,  Ontario M3H  5T4Phone-416-739-5846Fax-416-739-5845Cell-416-518-4329 chip.weseloh AT ec.gc.ca

Jen Brumfield
Sharon Center, OH