OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:42:44 -0400
Well, not quite Columbus, since my time was mostly at Hoover & Alum dams, but the season has started to change over.  While some birds are still nesting or feeding fledgelings, a few species have already closed the book on this nesting season.  Shorebirds are already on the move, but some landbirds are also heading out.  Water levels are still abysmally high at both reservoirs, so shorebirds are mostly absent here except for kildeer and spotted sandpipers.  At Hoover, the best spots were around the dam and spillway, while at Alum the best spots were the forested edges near the dam and nearby New Galena.  Some of the early migrant highlights include:

Green Heron - 1 flew past New Galena, where they don't nest.  Most of my earlier records indicate August as the main window of their migration.

E.Kingbirds - small groups, including immatures, were at both sites: 3 at Hoover and 7 at Alum.  They are definietely moving along the shoreline of both reservoirs now.

Swallows - small numbers of all the common species were at Hoover; a few of the resident Cliff Swallows were still visiting nests here as well.  Alum had only a few Barns & Rough-wings.

Gnatcatchers - good movement, with 20 in 1.5 hours at Hoover dam, followed by 13 in 1 hour at New Galena.  They're one of the earliest migrants, and I remember seeing them as migrants in Florida in July.  Does anyone know if they're night- or day-migrants?

Vireos - several Warblings were around both sites, and were likely migrants.  3 White-eyed at New Galena were more likely local residents, as fair numbers nest here.

Yellow Warblers - 3 were at Hoover, while 5 were at Alum.  These were the migrants (no singing, distinctive 'tzip' flight calls), as opposed to the singing residents at each spot.

Yellow-throated - another early migrant, with 3-4 at Hoover and 1 at Alum.  More should come throuh in early August.

Orioles - Baltimores were moving at both spots, with 1 at Hoover and 3 at New Galena (Alum).