OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2008 00:44:01 -0400
I stopped at these two Reynoldsburg-area parks this morning, the first to look for landbird migrants, the latter mostly for shorebirds.  Neither had a major fallout, but there was a steady stream of migrants to ogle.  Blacklick Woods had a modest fallout of landbirds, including:

Nighthawks - at least 8 were flying over the Woods in the morning, and I had another flock of 20+ over the Columbus WaterPlant (NE Columbus) late in the afternoon.  This must have been a big movement day.

Flycatchers - lots of Pewees, with 8 at Blacklick (in little over an hour), along with another 7 at Chatterton.  Also plenty of Empidonax, mostly Acadian (7) but some Least(3)

Vireos - only Red-eyed, but plenty of them at both sites

Thrushes - no big push yet, but 2 defensive Wood Thrushes were still lurking along the Beech-Maple Trail in Blacklick, a breeding location.

Warblers - a fair number early at Blacklick, but fewer as the morning wore on (as often happens with these night migrants).  The list included CapeMay, Blackburnian (6th morning in a row, all in different Columbus locations), Magnolia (5), Black&White (4), Ovenbird (2), Hooded, Redstart, Canada

Chatterton had far fewer landbird migrants (it was later in the morning), but had a nice cluster of shorebirds in the wetlands, including
Kildeer - 10
G.Yellowlegs - 2
L.Yellowlegs - 8
Spotted Spr - 1