OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:01:06 -0400
You know this place surpises me everyday.  Today I was down at the old pond where the handicap blind is and thought I was seeing things.

I was admiring the five trumpeter swans that looked different than the ones that are usually around....unless the tags fell off...which is totally possable I guess.  The two that are in the area that are tagged were not with these.  I have seen some babies in the Marion area as well.

Then I looked up and and very near the cattails, I thought I saw just another Juvi GBH..Then I held up my camera.  Not a GBH but a GREEN Heron.  It jumped up on a nearby scrub tree and wouldn't come out in the open to show itself and let me get it's pic.  A few minutes later, it took off and headed toward the woods.  "Oh well", I said "better hurry back and get ready for work."  I started walking back towards the car when I saw it again up in one of the dead branches of a fallen tree...with a FRIEND!  I was able to get within about 20 yards of them before they got restless and took off. There was no way to go around them either. The car was in front of them and to the right. I'll have pics up later..probobly under the Kingfisher thread on the OOS sight . Either that or I'll send a link out to my Photobucket acct..

I don't know if they were transiant or not, but they stuck around the area and flew into the cattails.  So I am hoping that they were some sort of nesters.  I'm pretty sure one was an adult but the other looked like a first summer yearling.

If this is anyones OBBA lot then here is link to Google Map that Shows the location of the birds that I have seen.  Markers 12-15 are today's.  I also have the kingfisher and all of the birds that I have seen near work on there so if you have a block in or near Honda, York Center, and Middlesburg.  There are some placemarks for ther as well:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111124962307056523138.000454252cbe886becf71&ll=40.574595,-83.281549&spn=0.003724,0.009613&t=h&z=17

The usual stuff was there, th Teal and Coots over on the edges and a couple of Grebes poking their heads out of the water..and the trillions of killdeer (sarc).

Time For Work.

Later,

Steve