OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
"Shrader, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shrader, John
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:09:53 -0400
On the way home from the Dayton International Airport this evening, I made a very quick stop at the north end of the main lake at Englewood MetroPark for a few minutes.  I didn't have the time to spend really searching through all the Killdeers and  I didn't have a scope, but at least I did have my binocular with me. . .

The habitat at Englewood MetroPark is now excellent - there is a huge expanse of mudflats, with a few ponds inches deep in the middle.  The mudflats were full of Killdeers - I didn't have time to count them, but would estimate 400-500.  I saw a number of shorebirds, and with a scope would have surely picked out more among all the Killdeers.  Good numbers of Great Blue Herons as well.  I think this area will be well worth watching over the weekend, especially as the weather changes and the cold front approaches.

John Shrader
Centerville, Ohio, USA

*****************************

Location:     Englewood Reserve
Observation date:     8/21/08
Notes:     TIME:  1800 - 1820

CONDITIONS:  Temp 86F, wind SE 5-10; high clouds with dark rain clouds to the west

COVERAGE:  North end of the main lake - very large mudflat present now with some ponding of water a few inches deep - excellent shorebird conditions

OO:  NONE

Number of species:     8

Mallard - Anas platyrhynchos     30
Great Blue Heron - Ardea herodias     29
Killdeer - Charadrius vociferus     500
Solitary Sandpiper - Tringa solitaria     2
Lesser Yellowlegs - Tringa flavipes     3
Semipalmated Sandpiper - Calidris pusilla     10
Pectoral Sandpiper - Calidris melanotos     1
Chimney Swift - Chaetura pelagica     10

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org <http://ebird.org/> )