OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 22:30:03 -0400
OK I just want to say a big THANKS! to both Charles Bombaci, Bruce Simpson, and Bob Baren.

I left my house today at 5:45...I got home at 8:45.  Dawn to Dusk birding!  First I went over to Mudhen Marsh on Charlie's recomendation...Count them FIVE different Species of Woodies: 1. a total of 6 Red Head and 1 young, 2. 2 Red Bellied with young, 3. 3 Northern Flickers...with young, 4. 3 Downys and 5. one lone Pileated.  With the water as down as it was, I was able to get right up to the bank with clear camera view of everything.  I could also swear that I saw one of Charlie's Prothonotory Warblers.  The picture was inconclusive bit it was two dark for a goldfinch.

After that I broke for Breakfast at the place that Charlie likes over at area L, M, and N. :)  After that I ran into  Bob at area N and we discussed the Godwit and how I couldn't see his pic for some reason...he gave me directions to Glacier and we went birding for a little.  we SAW a Green Heron and five Egrets.  We PHOTOGRAPHED some Solitary Sandpipers and somewhat looks like a greater yellowlegs.  I didn't get a god pic of it though:(.

We then broke off and I went to Blendon Woods to see if I could spot the turkey that Bruce mentioned and see what was in the pond. I photographed 1 female turkey (the chicks were in the blackberry bushes and were not coming out), I also saw a Green Heron and a GBH fishing (I got Pics!)

Then I took a break for a couple of hours and then headed over to Glacer Ridge.  Everyone who was there can attest to the fact that there were loads of different species of shorebirds there in that little space. I didn't get a count except for the one Marbled Godwit, and the seven Green Herons in various stages of development, one Virginia Rail, one Egret, and one Juvi Pied Billed Grebe.  We also spotted a couple of Lesser Yellowlegs, several Least Sandpipers, Some more Solitarys and last but not least, as I was getting up to leave a couple of what looked to me to be  Short Billed Dowitchers stopped by for some dinner. (I took pics of them so once I get done with editing them,  I will post them to the OOS website.)

When you add it all up, there where 22 different hits.  Of course you can add all of the Killdeer, Titmice, Chick-a-dees, Cardinals, Sparrows, Grackles, Ducks, Swallows, Nuthatches, and Crows...it was a busy day.

I've got 6 GB of pics to go through and several hours of Photoshoping for color corection, resizing, and watermarking....Like I said WOW! What A Day!.

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)