OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:51:21 -0400
Thanks for Doreene Linzell for relaying the report of the Buff-breasted
Sandpiper. Just to add a few more points:

The area to the southeast of the tracks has been best for shorebirds, at
least when I was there in the past, and today was no exception.  There
surely were several hundred shorebirds working that area alone.  However,
the water has receded far enough so that many of the birds are well out into
the field; the majority of birds were too far away to identify reliably.

The Buff-breasted Sandpiper was very cooperative, though, staying on the
fairly dry area and relatively close to the road.

The Black Tern was working over the deeper water on the other side of the
road, i.e., to the southwest.  It disappeared several times over the course
of an hour, only to reappear each time in the same area.

The water on the northwest side of the tracks was pretty deserted, but there
were some shorebirds on the other side of the road, i.e., the northeast.
The advantage here is that the land slopes into a little swale near the road
so the habitat forces some birds much closer, including some species feeding
in the slightly deeper water; thus the short-billed dowitchers. Here again,
though, there were at least 200 shorebirds way off across the field, too far
off to identify (except for the really obvious Killdeers).

The weather was absolutely beautiful, but it was rather windy.  No heat
distortion to deal with, but that breeze tended to make the scope vibrate a
bit.  The light was fantastic; I recommend stopping in the afternoon when
the light is behind you for the best shorebird viewing.

Finally, be sure to keep an eye out for the pair of Belted Kingfishers, at
least three species of swallow (Barn, Tree, Bank), and several very handsome
Cedar Waxwings.

Bill Heck