OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Sheryl Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 00:42:57 EDT
After observing the Little Blue and Tricolored Herons and the Snowy Egrets
at the pond northeast of 2/269, I went to Willow Point at about  3:30.

First, I drove up the gravel road that leads up to the bay.  Before  reaching
the water, on the east side of this gravel road, there is a turnoff up  a
dike that leads to two impoundments.  The southernmost of these ponds,  the first
one you see after climbing the dike, held two Common Moorhens.

I then went to the Headquarters area and walked down the road behind the
large garage towards the pump house.  A path veers to the right (east) and  leads
to a dike running between two bodies of water.   In addition to  the birds
reported by Craig Caldwell, I saw a Wilson's Snipe, a Wilson's  Phalarope, and
an immature Little Blue Heron.  Viewing conditions are  excellent here and the
birds are fairly close.

To reach Willow Point from the Rt 2/Rt 269 exchange, head south on Rt 269
and turn right at the stop sign on to Rt 6.  After about a mile, Wahl Rd  veers
off to the right.  Willow Point WA headquarters is about two and a  half miles
past that point.   _http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/pub234.pdf_
(http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/pub234.pdf)

Sheryl Young

deal here.