OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:15:38 -0700
Robert Schlabach of Sugarcreek followed up on a tip from a caller who reported seeing a Wood Stork yesterday afternoon or this morning (not sure which). Robert arrived at the site about 8:30-9:00 am on Tuesday morning (26th) and at first did not see anything but a Great Blue Heron. After searching longer he found two Wood Storks perched in trees behind the small pond.

Tim Hochstetler and I made a quick trip to the site, arriving at 10:30 am but could find no sign of the birds. We watched there for 90 minutes and then drove southwest along the Will's Creek drainage, returning to the pond again at 12:30, but no luck.

Other birders are going to try again late this afternoon.

Here are the directions: old DeLorme Page 61 5C (site of the storks). From U.S. Route 36 east of Coshocton, take State Route 93 south through West Lafayette and Plainfield. Stay on route 93 south, passing the  Y where SR Rt. 541 goes off to the southeast, and after another 1-2 miles, just after a mowed hayfield of the right, take C.R. 145 to the right (west) for approx .5 -.7 miles - to a small V-shaped pond, just after a bridge over a creek. The pond is right beside the gravel road on the right side and recent cuttings of branches (power company)are on the ground by the road. To me it looks very similar to places in Florida where Wood Storks are normally found. We only saw two cars on the road in 2 hours, and one was a county sheriff...

There was no cell phone coverage, at least for my phone, anywhere in the area, in fact most of the way back to Holmes County...

Bruce     Bruce Glick  [log in to unmask]
330-317-7798
  Millersburg, Ohio