OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Verna Ansel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Verna Ansel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:50:05 -0400
Had a few hours off today and so decided to go see what was playing in the
rain. First went to Scioto Audubon Park. Not much but blue herons and great
egrets. Did see about 6 cormorants flying and eating. On to Greenlawn
Cemetery where the usual birds were at the feeders. Had the great privilege
of running into Tommy Thompson at the feeders. What a great birder!!! It was
surely a privilege.

Then on to Prairie Oaks off RT 142 West of Columbus. I've been watching 3
Sora all week, and they are still there. Also a Virginia Rail, eating right
along side of the Sora. But the big surprise for me was a Wilson's Snipe (or
common snipe - not sure what the difference is). He was a great specimen
with his long bill and beautiful markings. Worth the time to go see. He's in
the first pond before you get to the Prairie View Picnic area, along with
the rail and soras.

On a different note, thanks to the birders who were such a help in helping
me see the Marbled Godwit at Glacier Ridge last week. That was a highlight
of the year for me. And the Virginia Rail was so accommodating, too.

Verna Ansel
Galloway, OH