OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:50:11 EDT
Hello!

Sorry for the delayed post, but yesterday I took "the long way  home" to
Columbus from the Toledo area by stopping in the Bellevue area to  check on
shorebirds.  I arrived at the CR292 skypond about 6:45 PM and I  carefully scanned
the surrounding areas several times through my scope looking  for a
Buff-Breasted Sandpiper.  Having no luck after about 45 minutes, I  briefly checked out
the CR175 skypond (now dry), the T80 skypond (geese,  Mallards, Herons,
Yellowlegs, few peeps), and the CR205 skypond (Coots, Grebes,  Killdeer, Doves, Ruddy
Ducks, BW Teal), but did not observe any rarities  including a Buff-Breasted.
 At about 8:15 PM, I decided to check out the  CR292 pond again on my way
home, and on the south side of the tracks on the east  side of the road, lo and
behold was a single Buff-Breasted foraging within  spitting distance from the
road edge.  I watched it through my optics for  several minutes, unsuccessfully
looked for others of its ilk, and went  on my merry way home.

FYI, CR292 is now officially open as the "Road Closed" signs have been
removed and crushed stone added to the road berms adjacent to the pond  area.
Water levels and bird numbers have dropped since I was there this  past Sunday but
I observed most of the same species previously reported  excluding Black
Terns and Phalaropes.  There were 2 Black-Bellied Plovers  and some Stilt
Sandpipers and Short-Billed Dowitchers on the north side of the  tracks.  One really
needs a scope to observe the birds south of the tracks  as the majority of
birds were far off of the road.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio

deal here.