OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:02:41 EDT
I was able to locate the Red-necked Phalarope reported by Ray Hannikman at
about 6pm this evening.  It was tight up against the rocks that surround  the
Headlands lighthouse, west of the lighthouse.  The bird was hanging out  with a
Spotted Sandpiper and a Baird's Sandpiper.  The three swam and fed  together,
changed location together, flew together.  At one point they flew  onto the
fishing area past the lighthouse where they were joined by a Solitary
Sandpiper and a Semi-palmated Sandpiper.  When they left this area, it was  back to
the three friends together. The phalarope looks just like the  Juvenile pictured
in Sibley.

Forgive me for anthropomorphizing, but I am moved to say that this
particular individual seemed extra perky, happy to be here.  A lovely  little sprightly
creature.

Suzanne Wagner, Mentor

deal here.