OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:05:29 -0700
Wednesday, August 27th...a whirlwind day of birding
and one of the most fun I've had in some time.  After
shunning some obligations, I arrived arrived at the
Medusa flats around 11:15.  The TRICOLORED HERON,
which had been present for Jen Brumfield and Nancy ?
minutes earlier had come up missing, and did not
reappear during my stay.  It is more than likely still
in the area, with so much habitat available.
Shorebirds were present in decent numbers, though none
decidely rare.  Jen did have a Baird's earlier and
there were a few Stilt Sandpipers present.

We headed on to to Willow Point, which had moderate
numbers of shorebirds, including a nice group of Stilt
Sands, but little else to mention.

Things changed quickly when we arrived at Bellevue -
CR 292.  Spread out before us were hundreds of
shorebirds, and most of them at close range and in
ridiculous light.  We quickly spotted a WILSON'S and 2
RED-NECKED PHALAROPES, and when the Peregine flew over
they moved closer to us, right along the railroad
tracks.  We were literally able to photograph this
trio from ten feet away, as they fed together (photos
to be posted on Rarebird later on).
Other highlights included a single BUFF-BREASTED
SANDPIPER on the open, grassy flats and at least 10
BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS - counted in a single scan.  The
Peregrines and some local ATVers (yes, they're here
too) kept the birds on their toes.

And, for the grand finale...at 6 pm, Jen & I headed
off to Coshocton County into steady rain and darkening
skies.  Thanks to on-point directions and some slick
driving, we arrived at the spot as light was
fading...to see THREE WOOD STORKS feeding peacefully
in the river below.  The birds were quite intent on
foraging and were still doing so as darkness fell.
Some black, but diagnostic photos were obtained.  A
marvelously magnificent day to be an Ohio birder - for
sure.

-Gabe Leidy
Cleveland