OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:33:44 -0400
As of 12:30 p.m. this afternoon, Thursday, August 28th, the WILSON'S
PHALAROPE and AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVERS reported by the Neubauers were still
at the lake of the main Englewood Metropark.

The WILSON'S PHALAROPE was still in the location the Neubauers described
below.  It was near shore, giving nice views.  It was surrounded by other
shorebirds, including many LESSER YELLOWLEGS and a vocal GREATER
YELLOWLEGS.  The side-by-side views of the two yellowleg species made for
nice comparisons.  A BLACK TERN was nearby, flying over the lake.

The AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVERS were on the west shore of the lake at the
northernmost water (the northern third of the lake is dry).

In a separate sighting, there was a flock of about 50 common nighthawks
over south Dayton at 7:30 p.m. last evening.

Kevin Myers

             Sent by: Ohio                                              To
             birds                     [log in to unmask]
             <OHIO-BIRDS@LISTS                                          cc
             ERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
                                                                   Subject
                                       [Ohio-birds] Am. Golden Plovers &
             08/27/2008 04:25          Wilson's Phalarope at Englewood
             PM                        Main Metropark

             Please respond to

Wednesday, Aug. 27

Due to prior commitments, we birded in two shifts today.  First was at
10:30
a.m. with Kurt Stein.  All of these species were seen from the disc  golf
course at the park.  After you enter the park, drive to the first stop
sign
beyond the restroom building and turn left toward the cul de sac.   Park in
the
west parking area and walk due west to the viewing area of the  mudflats.

    Lesser yellowlegs - 11
    Solitary sp. - 1
    WILSON'S PHALAROPE- 1
    Spotted sp - 1
    Pectoral sp. - 7
    Killdeer
    Wood ducks
    Great blue herons

Our next shift was at 3 p.m. from the north parking lot where you used to
be
able feed the ducks.  Sightings there did not include a complete count,
but
these were the species observed:

    AM. GOLDEN PLOVER - 2
    Least sp.
    Semipalmated sp - 20+
    Greater yellowlegs - 2
    Great egret - 1
    Semipalmated plover - 2
    Killdeer - many
    Great blue herons

Ed and Bev Neubauer
Englewood, Ohio

**************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your
travel
deal here.
(?http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047)

Additional discussions can be found in our forums, at
www.ohiobirds.org/forum/.