OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Matthew Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:13:05 -0400
For those of you living in Greater Cleveland who don't have time to go see
the Wood Storks this weekend, you might consider spending some time on the
boardwalk at Shaker Lakes.  I stopped by this afternoon from 3 - 5pm and was
treated to a lot of warblers and flycatchers besides the usual local birds.
I'm still getting used to the fall warblers so I include the field markings
that led me to my identifications.  Please feel free to challenge my I.D. if
you think they might be incorrect.  Noteworthy were:

Empidomax sp? (not sure which ones - many seen!)

Olive-sided Flycatcher (perched at the top of dead trees - nice central
breast stripe)

Chestnut-sided Warbler (immature but very distinctive lime-green head and
nape, white eye ring and pale gray face)

Canada Warbler (good striping on the chest)

Carolina Wren (eyebrow more tan than white - perched on boardwalk and
calling loudly)

Redstart (drab bird overall but vivid orange patches on sides and yellow
tail patches as it flew away)

Goldfinch (beautiful immature/winter plumage and small bill.  Buff color
overall with a strong lighter-buff wing bar)

At least three other warblers that I only glanced for a few seconds - maybe
a Black and White, Yellow-rumped and Palm - but not enough time to be sure.

Other birds seen:

Catbird, Chickadee, White-breasted Nuthatch, Blue Jay, Downy Woodpecker, N.
Flicker,  R.T. Hummingbird, Mourning Dove, N. Cardinal, Robin, Chimney
Swifts, Common Grackle, Tufted Titmouse (lots).

Regards,

Matt Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH