OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2008 18:07:15 -0400
Greetings:

I just got back from a day of birding locations around Sandusky with
Brad Sparks and Paul Gardner. Stops included Magee Marsh, Medusa Marsh,
Willow Point Fish Work Station, and the TR 292 ponds near Bellevue. We
had 20 species of shorebirds and 10 species of warblers among the birds
seen today.

HIGHLIGHTS: Marbled Godwit, Wilson's Phalarope, Red-necked Phalarope,
Western Sandpiper, Baird's Sandpiper, Philadelphia Vireo

Our first stop was Magee Marsh, to scan the beaches for Ruddy Turnstones
and Sanderlings, neither of which were present. We did see Ring-billed
and Herring Gulls and two Forster's Terns, along with Killdeer and
Spotted Sandpipers. Three Bald Eagles were also present on the beach
near the boardwalk. There was a nice flock of migratory songbirds at the
entrance to the boardwalk, including the following warblers:
Blackburnian, Black-and-white, Magnolia, Black-throated Blue, Canada,
Prothonotary, American Redstart, Wilson's, and Chestnut-sided. Brad
Sparks observed a Philadelphia Vireo here as well. The boardwalk itself
was quiet, with at least one Ovenbird observed along with singing
Warbling Vireos and Eastern Wood-Pewees. We ran into a couple on the
boardwalk that had observed an American Woodcock and a Mourning Warbler,
but we could not relocate either of these birds. Other Magee Marsh birds
observed included: Gray Catbird, Hermit Thrush, House Wren, Downy
Woodpecker, Tree Swallow, European Starling, Red-winged Blackbird,
Common Grackle, Wood Duck, Pied-billed Grebe, Great Blue Heron, Great
Egret, American Robin, Cedar Waxwing and Northern Flicker.

Our next stop was at Medusa Marsh to try for the Tri-colored Heron,
which was not observed. However, its relatives were out in force, with
approximately 120 Great Egrets, 10 Snowy Egrets, 50 Great Blue Herons,
and 1 Green Heron observed. Numerous shorebirds were present at the
portion of the marsh northeast of the route 2/route 269 interchange, but
most were far too distant to identify, apart from a single Black-bellied
Plover and a few Stilt Sandpiper.

Willow Point Fish Work Station was much better for shorebird viewing
conditions. We were there around noon and the light was perfect. The
best birds was a group of 5 or 6 Western Sandpipers, observed carefully
for several minutes and compared against other peeps nearby. The
Westerns were slightly larger and exhibited long, droopy bills, along
with rufous highlights on the crown and upper scapulars. The birds also
held themselves up at about a 40-degree angle while moving, unlike the
nearly horizontal posture of nearby Semipalmated Sandpipers. I'd
estimate at least 75 Short-billed Dowitchers were also present, all of
which appeared to be juveniles. One dowitcher showed signs of molt, but
also had the shortest bill of all the dowitchers - we thought at first
the molt indicated a Long-billed Dowitcher, but now I myself am not so
sure, since I personally did not observe other plumage characteristics
associated with Long-billed Dowitcher. Perhaps others with better
knowledge of the two species can weigh in about this matter. At least 30
Stilt Sandpipers were observed as well, along with numerous Killdeer,
Semipalmated Sandpipers, a couple of Least Sandpipers, several Lesser
Yellowlegs, a Wilson's Snipe, a Dunlin, and a single Baird's Sandpiper.

Our last stop of the day was at TR292, the now-famous "railroad tracks"
pond near Bellevue. The Marbled Godwit reported earlier was present and
feeding about 50 feet out from the road in a small puddle that had
concentrated some fish in it as a result of the receding waters. The
godwit was competing for the fish and other prey animals with Lesser
Yellowlegs. A single Buff-Breasted Sandpiper was present near the puddle
with the godwit, and American Golden-Plovers were present in good
numbers.  Across the tracks from the main pond are a set of three
smaller ponds, one of which had two Wilson's Phalaropes and one
Red-necked Phalaropes. At least 6 Baird's Sandpipers were present here
as well, along with 4 Short-billed Dowitchers, Stilt Sandpipers, Least
Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers, Semipalmated Sandpipers, and hordes of
Lesser Yellowlegs. Also present were a few Ruddy Ducks, Pied-billed
Grebes and lots of Canada Geese and Great Egrets. Two Caspian Terns and
a Common Tern were seen, but no Black Terns. Also noticeable absent were
Greater Yellowlegs and Solitary Sandpipers.

For those who have yet to bird the Bellevue area, the ponds are rapidly
drying, so don't waste any more time and get up there! Who knows what
else might show up?

Good birding,

Andy Sewell

Columbus, Ohio