OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2008 15:07:16 EDT
Today's sighting of this year's marbled godwit (#150) seems an  appropriate
time for my biannual report on MCWS -- located south  of Youngstown.

We have 150 species, with expectations of several more, listed so  far this
year with the help of NE Ohio's intrepid birders, Jim Dolan (BB Atlas),  Bob
and Denise Lane (of Ohio magpie fame), and Jeff Harvey (Wild Birds  Unlimited).
Although we have many interesting species, a main focus of the  sanctuary is
to provide resting and feeding habitat for migrating shorebirds for  almost
eight months of the year. The list of sb migrants to date this  year includes:

black-bellied plover
semipalmated plover
killdeer
American avocet
black-necked stilt (possible)
spotted sandpiper
solitary sandpiper
greater yellowlegs
willet (probable)
lesser yellowlegs
WHIMBREL
MARBLED GODWIT
ruddy turnstone
semipalmated sandpiper
least sandpiper
Baird's sandpiper
white-rumped sandpiper
pectoral sandpiper
dunlin
stilt sandpiper
short-billed dowitcher
long-billed dowitcher
Wilson's snipe
American woodcock

All of the above were reported in "normal" numbers relative among  them,
e.g., 1 godwit so far,  2 Baird's sandpipers, but hundreds  of least sandpipers
and dunlin. I am expecting Wilson's and red-necked  phalarope, western sandpiper
(which we may well have simply missed)  and red knot, all of which have
appeared the last few  years, and hopefully, if we're vigilant, a few other
interesting  shorebird spp.

The eagle pair is still loyal to the site, along with nesting green heron,
pied-billed grebe, common moorhen and American coot. The young of all of  the
above (except the eagle) were devastated by an over population of  hungry
snapping turtles in the ponds. Black-crowned night heron, which has  been seen all
summer is also very possibly nesting.  There are presently at  least two
adults and three juveniles in the sanctuary.

I'll be happy to supply full lists and details to anyone interested. The
sanctuary is restricted, but as always, I will accompany any serious birder
around the site. Just email me.

Good birding.
Bill Jones
Canfield