OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:53:09 -0500
After seeing the previous post, and living near Hoover, I was able to quickly travel over and locate the 5 White Pelicans.  For those familiar with Hoover, they are on the East shore between the yacht club and the Galena boardwalk (Area M).  The best viewing by land, although distant, is from Oxbow Rd.  Walk around from the Oxbow boat launch to the North and look from the yacht club along the East shore towards Galena (you can see the boardwalk in the distance).

This area is the same area that had the godwits, phalaropes, buff-breasted, etc. in past years but I don't believe the area is currently accessible by land from the East shore based upon water levels.  It also cannot be viewed from the Galena boardwalk so I would suggest Oxbow.  However, keep an eye out at the boardwalk as it is a short distance over the Osprey platform to this area, just no clear field of view.

I plan to go for a closer look by kayak in the morning and I will also get a look at potential shorebird habitat.

Ken Davis

Westerville, OH